Friday, November 2, 2007

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times...

I am a Boston/New England sports fan. I have been all 25 years of my life. Despite it currently being a "golden age'" of sports in Boston, it also really sucks for me being a fan. Here's why:



That seems to be the general consensus of all other sports fans across the country, and I can't really blame them. I don't want to hear about the Patriots every other play on Monday Night Football when they're not playing, or have every third story on SportsCenter be about the Red Sox. It's overkill. And the hype for this weeks game between the Pats and Colts is sickening. This will not be the greatest regular season game ever unless the game is tied in the fourth quarter at 42 going into the two-minute warning when aliens land at the 50-yard line and bestow upon us the technology necessary to create the hoverboard. That would be something. The constant media barrage is only part of the problem. The other is Red Sox Nation.

I am a Red Sox fan. I am not part of Red Sox Nation. It was cute when it was used occasionally by the media, but when the ownership took it and marketed this shit out of it after the World Series win in '04, that was the end. Does your team's fan base have an official president? Mine does, and that is one of the saddest things I can think of. Even sadder than a puppy with cancer.


What's leukemia?

Next on my shitlist should be Patriots fans. Guess what? I'm not going to talk shit about their general boastful dickweedery because any other fan base would act the same exact way if they were in the same position (winning). Go to any football game at an opposing stadium and see how you are treated. Most of the fans of the the opposing team will give you some good-natured ribbing, but they are cool and will talk football, eat various grilled meats, and drink beer all day. This is the same on the internet. The fans who cause the bad rap are the 10% or so who love to act like their teams accomplishments somehow increase their status in football fandom. Every team has them, deal with it until it's your turn. On the other hand, I can't stand the whiny Patriots (Boston) fans who still act like everyone is against them and can't shut the fuck up and just enjoy the season. Do you know why everyone is seemingly against you? Because that is the point of competition. Sports wouldn't be entertaining if every game ended up in a tie, like tee ball, would it? Now shut the fuck up!

I've complained about Celtics fans in the past so I don't need to touch them again, no one cares about BC unless you are enrolled or an alumnus, and it wouldn't be fair to pick on the 8 or so remaining Bruins fans. So basically it comes down to everyone hates us because our teams are winning and we are being pricks about it. I'm not looking for pity, I just wanted to comment on the state of fandom in the city of Boston. So for the record: as a Boston sports fan, I Jon promise not to whine or be a prick about my sports teams, I'll just be a prick about everything else.

No comments: