Thursday, August 2, 2007

It's baaaack...


Now if they could only bring the short shorts back

Celtic Pride has finally returned to Boston with the acquisition of Kevin Garnett, and to a lesser extent Ray Allen, and I don't know how I feel about that. It's great that Boston is now a three-sports city (sorry B's but hockey sucks, especially you guys), but I feel a little cheated about the rampant bandwagon jumping the region is currently engaging in. I haven't been the biggest C's fan over the last 3 years, but at least I was still a fan. I watched at least half of the games, even during last years embarrassing phone-it-in attempt of a season to get a top two lottery pick. I was devastated and then infuriated when the C's ended up with the #5 pick in the lottery after wasting a season. Regardless of how I feel, Celtic Pride in full effect. While driving home from work yesterday I saw people on the street wearing C's gear: skaters, brothers, middle-aged white guys, old Asian ladies, even an Indian guy (I made those last two up but just because I didn't see it yesterday doesn't mean that they aren't out there). Actually, the only time I ever see people wearing C's gear in Boston is when they are going to a game at The Garden (Fleet Center), or if they're homeless and the only shirt on their back is a Larry Bird caricature t-shirt from 1991.


I couldn't find a picture of that shirt, but you get the idea [update: found it]

Well despite my earlier reservations, I for one welcome the return of Celtic Pride to Boston because The Garden has been a depressing place to see a game the past couple years (except when the Globetrotters were in town, that gag with the confetti bucket never gets old) and hope these moves result in banner #17 before the team bus has to make stops at the nursing home.


You knew that this was coming

No comments: